Sunday, October 18, 2009

5k Run - The aftermath

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start."
-John Bingham, running speaker and writer



I DID IT!!!!! My official time was 49min 7sec.

1657 52:48.9 10:34 49:07.8 10360 ROSS, SHARON BRAMPTON 1008/1621 91/131 W40-44

Oh boy, what a day. I cannot even tell you how proud I am to have accomplished this. I did it, and in my fastest time ever. For me the best part was the fact that there were so many things that could have stopped me from doing this run, so many excuses I could have made to have backed out of it, but I didn't, I just went for it and I have a feeling this may make all the difference in the world to me on this journey. I did it... and I now know that through hard work and proper eating anything is possible - ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

Funny enough, there were no tears at the end of this race (well only from one of my friends), I simply felt a huge sense of accomplishment and a sense of relief as well. No more hiding, no more being afraid of judgment from others, no more not believing in myself. I am on a mission now, I've had that little taste of victory and have seen a tiny glimpse of the real me that I have been trying to find for so long. Running across that finish line I was pumping my fists in the air, and was just beaming from ear to ear, and just kept repeating to myself I did it, I really did it.....

Tomorrow its back to the gym to start training for my next step on this journey - try a tri (mini triathlon) next May!

I have included some pictures from the day, my run, me at the finish line, with my trainer, with my friends and with my medal!!!!!









7 comments:

Pauline said...

Congratulations on your accomplishment today!!

Anonymous said...

Great job! You must feel so proud of yourself! Good luck for your tri!

Nicole said...

WOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!

Sharon you are the BOMB!!!

Congratulations on a great great accomplishment!!!!!
I so knew you could do it!

Joania said...

YOU GO GIRL!! I knew you could do it!! I know how proud you must feel and I AM PROUD OF YOU FOR FOLLOWING THROUGH!! EXCELLENT!!!! Maybe I'll "Try a Tri" next year! :) Keep it up...great pics btw! :)

cdblueberry said...

I'm so happy and so proud of you!!!!!!!

I have to tell you I was waiting for you to post and the darn power went out and I've been away from a computer all day and I couldn't wait to read this and see those happy happy pictures!

You are, as always, a huge inspiration to me.

I think it's official, you can now define yourself as athlete :)

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the support. It really does mean a lot to know that so many people believe in you, and are rooting for you. This is such a difficult journey, and it's so nice to be doing it with you guys :D

Sephgirl said...

Congratulations on meeting that great goal! You have worked really hard preparing for this race and its fantastic that you did it and did it so well! Way to go Sharon! You should be really proud of yourself! :)