Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Time to hang on!


Today, I did a weigh in.... 4 days after I started my low carb diet. Now seriously this is how *F* up my situation is.... my last official weigh in at the gym was on May 9. Weight was 254.8, BMI 39.9, fat % 49.4%, AND fat mass of 125.8 lbs.... after that point I went on a bit of a binge and based on my home scale (which is where the *f* up part come in... it reads wrong, so when I was showing at a weight of 254.8 at the gym, I was showing as 280 at home) went up 5lbs. Today my weight is 252.4, BMI is 39.5, fat % is 51.4 % , and fat mass is 129.81%.
Basically everything that I have lost in the last few days is water (as expected). Now when I looked at this my first thought was to get upset at the fact that my fat mass went up.... I was able to stop and think about this process. I should be hitting the ketosis stage any day now and then I will start burning fat..... hopefully what that will mean (since I am eating low carb) is that on in a state of ketosis all, or at least most, of the calories I burn while exercising will come from my fat stores. Bottom line is I need to just be patient for a few weeks and see what my body compositon shows! I've never done that before, I always use every setback as a reason to just give up. I am going to keep the faith.
I have been doing some reading on "the ketosis state" as several people have told me that this is very unhealthy and that I shouldn't do it. What I have decided, is that for me (and I can only speak for myself) being in ketosis for a few months (perhaps up to 6 months) can in no way be more unhealthy than carrying around an extra 80 - 100 pounds for 30 years. That's my position and I'm sticking to it.
Finally, the one thing that has been a bit worrysome to me is my energy level. I have been exhausted. I read up on this as well and it seems that the first 3 or 4 days on a low carb diet, your energy levels will drop as your body gets used to the new way of eating.... This morning I boxed and it was really, REALLY tough. Ummm I am on day 4 today and I can say that the burst of energy that is supposed to kick in on day 4 or 5, and kick in at any time now.... I think I am going to go grab some ketostix ( I think that's what they're called) from the drug store so I can monitor my progress. Once I hit the stage of ketsis, I will start adding in some more carbs (from fruit, sweet potatoes etc. I am going to try and stay away from bread, pasta and rice for now)
Anyway, I feel like I have learned a lot in short period of time. Onward and Downward!

No comments: