Monday, January 17, 2011

Movie- The Kings Speech

Well I was trying to put off seeing this at the theatre but ended up going to see it yesterday. It's the story of King George VI who was a stutterer. I knew it would be a an emotional trip because I would be re-living just how hard life has been for my Nephew. He is 27 now and has stuttered since he was 4 or 5. It broke my heart to watch the fear and humiliation that he went through. It was also uplifting and the speech therapist who treated him was amazing. It was so weird to hear them name characteristics of people who stutter: mostly males(check), mostly left handed(check), often knock kneed (check), usually starts stuttering at age 4 or 5 (check), often has some sort of traumatic experience (ummm father committing suicide - double check).

There was also a part that mentioned that if the stutterer had someone speaking the same words at the same time(think two people reading the same line of a poem together) they wouldn't stutter. Well this part of the movie had me bawling uncontrollably.

I have been looking into a new aid that is basically like a hearing aid that makes the stutterer hear their own voice, at a different pitch in their ear. Apparently it creates that 2nd person speaking in unison and tricks the brain into not stuttering.

This used to only be available from a Dr. in NYC, but I have now found that there is a Dr. in a city an hour away that fits patients with it..... Before I mention it to my Nephew I want to talk to my Dad and sisters to make sure we are able to afford it, it cost about 4-5k, but I am sooooooo excited. To think that in a few weeks, he could speak without a stutter just gives me goose bumps. Please do me a fovour and keeps your fingers crossed, or say a prayer that this device works for Jay.... thanks.

6 comments:

Anne H said...

big hugs all the way around on that one....
you'll all be in my thoughts today!

K-Mom said...

Hi,
Is there a way we could do a fundraising event to raise the money. Seriously, that is not that much to raise, I am sure it can be done, some way or another....

I am keeping every body part I own crossed.

Unknown said...

Thanks Anne. K-Mom, that is soooo sweet of you. I think I may have phrased my post wrong. We can afford the device, I just paid for my Nieces college tuition and my personal training for the next year so my own funds are a bit tight right now. We got it covered, but the fact that you offered to do a fundraiser, WOW, you are a special person :)

GardeningTips said...

Have you done your research on the "device" that fits in the ear? From what I have read of others that have tried it, it was a waste of money. Some of the things that they said are "you can't wear it while outside walking down the street with your girlfriend as it plays back not only your voice but the cars going by, too" - "you can't wear it in a restaurant because it plays back the music, the clinking of glasses, the chatter of other people, so it is no help with ordering" - "it does no good when in a crowd" - "its effects wore off after awhile" - "the only time it is worth anything is when doing a presentation and you are the only person talking." Don't get everyone's hopes up and spend money that there will be regrets for later. What helped me the most was "Self Therapy for the Stutterer" by the Stuttering Foundation. They have some good videos on their web site, too.
Gloria

Anonymous said...

I think it is wonderful your family is able to do that for him.

I loved the movie, it was uplifting and inspiring!

Unknown said...

Thanks Blue! And thanks Gloria for your information. I assume we are both talking about the speecheasy. I have just started researching so this is good information to know.