Saturday, January 1, 2011

Let the fun begin... errr continue

I am just downing my first cup of coffee and watching weight loss themed television. Today is the first day of the rest of my life - I used to have this posted on the wall in my bedroom growing up. I remember my uncle coming to visit us from England. I had grown up receiving presents from him each year, but didn't meet him until I was in my late teens. He was in the British army and had his arm blown off by a hand grenade during WWII. He came home damaged and never really recovered. He lived in the family home in London, never married, never travelled, and really just lived his day to day life in his tiny little neighbourhood. After my family travelled to England in 1985, we were able to talk my Uncle into coming to visit us in England. His fear, as we later found out, was that because he only had one arm, he could not buckle his seat belt or use a knife to cut his meat, on the airplane. Anyway, when he finally came he stayed in my room and he came out to the kitchen that first day and mentioned that he really loved the quote I had posted on my wall... It truly was the first day of the rest of his life and I believe he decided at that moment to start fresh. In the following years he sold the old dingy house in London and bought a lovely little house on the coast, and visited us every year up until his death a few years ago. We can change, we can start fresh and today can be the first day of the rest of your life.

Last night I was at a NYE party at my uncles house (this is an uncle on my Dad's side of the family, the West Indian side - very different haha). It was such a crazy night. I danced from 10 oclock when I got there, until 3 o'clock when I left. So much fun. Last week I was at the mall and on a whim walked into a shop that had tons of glittery silver and gold party clothes. I ALWAYS wear black - you know because it is slimming right. Anyway in an effort to change, I bought myself a glittery silver top and felt like a million bucks last night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That top looks beautiful on you!


What a great post and what a great transformation, it really never is too late is it?

Sephgirl said...

You look like a million dollars! Nice top! And great post - I love how there is always a moment where we can turn around and start fresh. Thanks for the reminder! :)