Saturday, January 30, 2010

Vancouver Flag Bearer is Clara Hughes

"For 20 years, I've pursued this sport and had this gift of opportunity to try to be the best I can for Canada, year after year. These experiences have shaped me into who I am," Hughes said. "I've learned what it truly means to be Canadian, and in turn, I've been inspired to make a difference in the world, however small it's been." Clara Hughes.

I was so happy when I heard this yesterday. I remember watching her in the summer Olympics when she won a bronze medal for a road race in cycling, and then of course her fantastic speed skating achievements. I have always felt that her accomplishments were overshadowed by her speed skating team mates, Catriona Le May Doan and then Cindy Klassen, both who were very deserving of the limelight, so I was very happy to see her given this honour. I remember watching Clara when she skated in the 5,000m race in the Torino Olympics, watched her win the race and then collapse in absolute exhaustion, she put her heart, her soul and every last drop of energy into that race and I was in complete awe of her. I actually have that race (from You tube) saved and watch it every now and then when I am feeling lazy, or uninspired, or ready to give up on my dream to complete a triathlon. It always reminds me that with hard work and perseverance, we can beat the odds stacked against us and make our dreams a reality. Here is the video:


1 comment:

cdblueberry said...

It is an inspired choice and smart choice!

I love her enthusiasm and all of her work for Right to Play, I remember her winning and the first thing she said was she was donating her life's savings. So dedicated and so giving ;)