Saturday, January 23, 2010

Brutal Workout with a great lesson learned

Wow, yesterday was boxing day at the gym. Now I always look forward to Fridays workout because I have found a love of boxing and more particularly Muay Thai, or kickboxing as it is also known. I feel so strong when I am doing this workout and so energized when I am done. Well this Friday, my trainer decided to kick it up a notch..... or 30! I was on the bike doing my normal warm up when I saw him coming through the gym, kick pads in hand along with...... oh no the dreaded 30lb weighted vest. So i spent the next 40 minutes struggling through a boxing session (no kicking as I am resting an injured knee at the moment). When I say struggled I really do mean struggled, I was absolutely exhausted. When I was done doing that, I had a quick sip of water and it was off to the stair climber to do 10 floors wearing the vest. I seriously thought I was going to pass out it was so hard. After I struggled through 10 floors, my trainer took the vest off of me and asked me to do one more floor, and then asked me how it felt. It was so much easier and much less painful on my legs I could hardly believe the difference.

The point of this exercise was for me to see not only how far I have come, but also to see how much further I will progress by knocking off another 30 lbs. There is a little voice in the back of my head that keeps saying "imagine what you will be able to do when you get to your goal weight of 150 lbs" which is the equivelent of shedding 3 of those vests.

Hmmmm, I think I am having an "Ah ha" moment. For the first time ever rather than fearing my first ever try a tri in June, I am motivated to lose as much of those 3 weighted vests as possible, and kick the tri's ass, and the best part is that I actually think that I can and I will!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

That work out sounded great! I think sometimes we have to realize where we have come. 30lbs can SEEM like so little until we have to carry it again and see it really is hard on our body.

cdblueberry said...

I am continually amazed by your workouts!

Linda K. Hibbard said...

I wear a weighted vest (The Walkvest-16#) during my power walks and exercise program. I can definitely feel the exertion difference and I know I am burning extra calories and adding to my workout. And because I am a small woman, the extra weighted workload helps me build bone density to avoid osteoporosis. Go to: http;//www.WomensPersonalFitness.net