Friday, July 17, 2009

Hard Day at the Gym

Today, I went to the gym pumped at the running cycle I was supposed to be doing. I had my weekly weigh in first and was up 1.6lbs. Not quite sure how this happened as I was pretty good this week for the most part, but I was up. My trainer was really mad! I went to the treadmill to start my warm up and he came up behind me and just went on and on and on about how I am soooooo far behind where I should be and I'm not giving enough of an effort and if I keep gaining weight at this rate, I will be 100 lbs heavier in two years and that I am simply wasting my money if I keep going at this pace. I was walking on the treadmill looking straight ahead with my eyes totally filled with tears. I was about 1 second away from jumping off the treadmill and running into the change room to bawl my eyes out :(

The thing is, I am not a very confident person, and my confidence has been soaring based simply on what I have been able to accomplish since joining the gym. I think all of the ground that I gained in the last 6 mos was wiped out by his tirade.....

Anyway he told me the cycle I had to do was run for 1 min, walk for 1 min, run for 2 minutes, walk for 2 minutes, run for 3 minutes, walk for 3 minutes, and then repeat the 2 minute cycle and the 1 minute cycle. Up until now, I have barely been able to run for 2 minutes, so the thought of running for 3 minutes absolutely freaked me out BUT, I was so upset, and knew that my trainer was upset that I didn't dare stop running, and I absolutely killed all of the cycles..... I RAN FOR 3 MINUTES STRAIGHT!

I really didn't get the total satisfaction of this accomplishment though because I left feeling so upset about the whole morning. After thinking about it, I hope (or maybe I just want to believe) that he was just trying to get me going, to make me push harder than I ever have. I am going back tomorrow morning to run again on my own, and I will try to duplicate the cycle I did today. I am going to push through the discomfort and kick some ass. Maybe I'll even try for a 4 minute cycle just to prove that I CAN do this and I CAN push myself harder.

To end on a good note, after the gym I was upset and on my drive into work (on the highway) i was thinking about everything that happened, and again the tears started welling up in my eyes (I am the biggest WIMP ever, I know this and admit it to you). Anyway there was a guy in the car next to me and his doggie had his head out of the back window, and well you can imagine how windy it was and this doggies lips (do dogs have lips) were just flapping around in the wind..... I burst out laughing and the "Trainer Bob" episode at the gym was forgotten.

3 comments:

cdblueberry said...

I think I would have cried :(

That sounds brutal :(
People gain sometimes, many times, despite exercise and eating right. Lord, I just had 5 weeks of OP gaining

You are so strong to keep going. lol, I would have
a) told him where to go and how to get there
b) kicked him
c) ran away to hide in the women's room and never return again
d) all of the above!

Pauline said...

That trainer was awful to you. I wanted to cry for you.

Us women have weight that fluctuates every month due to TOM. I weigh myself daily and will often see 5 lb fluctations.

His response was uncalled for and I'm sorry you were treated that way.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comments ladies. I just want to say that while I don't agree with some of the things said to me, my trainer has been absolutely supportive in the 6 mos I have been training with him. I honestly don't think I would be where i am without him, so I have chosen to put that one bad morning aside and focus on many, many great workouts I have experienced.

Thanks for the kind words.