Saturday, January 17, 2009

Taking a chance

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it."-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I have been humming and hawing for the last little while about joining a gym. I made every excuse in the book as to why I couldn't join but really the only reason was fear. Fear- plain and simply has held me back for far too long. I have started watching the biggest loser and I find myself seeing so much of myself in the young contestant named Dan. While he is much heavier than I ever was, being overweight from a young age, no matter by how much, effects us all in the same way. I watched him running on a treadmill. Jillian was slowly increasing the speed 3, to 4 and he was running and saying higher, higher up to 5, 6, and then 7 mph. I saw something light up in his face, saw his confidence boost before my eyes and it lit something inside of me as well so...

Today, I joined goodlife fitness. Not only that but I have booked a 12 pack of personal training sessions. Now this is not something that I got conned into, or it's not a spur of the moment type thing. I have wanted to do this for a very long time and it was the old fear that kept me from going. Honestly, I want to feel the way Dan felt in that episode, I want to feel strong, capable and confident and I am going to work as hard as I possibly can in order to achieve this. Am I scared? You bet I'm scared, I felt as though I was going to vomit as I took the escalator down to the gym this afternoon, but today I decided to take back my life and not let fear hold me back any longer - in any aspect of my life.

I know it will be a long hard road, and today I read someone's post on weight watchers that resonated to the depths of my being. Yes, it is hard to change, most definitely it is hard to change, but you know what, it is hard to be fat too, so we have to choose our hard, and today, I choose to change.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Good for you! I don't think I'm ever going to find myself comfortable in a gym. I use my many (read: excessive amounts) of exercise dvd's and my walking. I have hand weights at home as well. I just don't think I'll feel comfortable being in a room full of skinny people when I do not look like them.
For your courage to face that, I applaud you!!!
Nic