Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Crack and Calm

Last night was my first test- and while my first thought was that I failed miserably, I actually found a silver lining to the day. 

My cousin stopped by last night to provide some financial advice to me. When he came in he handed me a pastry box.  I opened it to find 4 luscious beautiful Portuguese custard tarts.  Oh my!

I made a decision as we were talking that I would NOT eat them. I would take them into work tomorrow and give them away to my co workers.  I said farewell to my cousin, closed the door behind him and before I knew it I was devouring not one, not two but ALL FOUR tarts.. Bam gone in minutes.  I realize that flour and sugar really are my crack!  The further I stay away from these things the stronger I will get. 

Anyway my normal pattern would be to get down on myself, berate myself and then continue with the binge.  I talked myself through it, tracked it, and realized in that 4 minutes I ate an extra 1000 calories.  Yikes! 

But instead of panicking, I told myself that it was done, over with, and then my rational self looked kicked in.  it would take 3500 calories to gain a pound, I ate 1000.  Over the next few days, I did 10 -15 extra minutes of cardio, and tried to cut back on a few calories during the day.  The fact that I put a plan in place to counteract the binge,   gave me a sense of calm that I haven't found in the past.  Life is going to happen, and perhaps sugar and flour will not be a part of my life, except maybe on an occasional basis. If I can do exactly what I did in this scenario (except maybe NOT eat all 4 tarts at one time- lol) I will be ok - I WILL BEAT THIS!

No comments: