Monday, March 22, 2010

Small Victories lead to self improvement.

"We improve ourselves by victories over ourself. There must be contests, and you must win." Edward Gibbon (1737 - 1794)

I came across this quote on the weekend and it spoke to me. It is very simplistic yet so very true. Everyone has there own battles that they fight on a daily basis, whether it's an addiction you are tyring to quit or perhaps something as simple as making sure you are not late for work, we all fight these battles all the time.

If I relate this to my own journey, I can see that the daily grappling with myself to go to the gym, or to wear that fitted top instead of the baggy one, or to refrain from eating that piece of cake, while minor in nature, each one is a contest. With every contest that I win, I improve myself just a tiny bit, which in turn gives me the strengh to contest more of my faults the next day, and that strength makes it that much easier to be victorious.

Falling into despair, gaining weight and having low self esteem, are things that snowball out of control, and sometimes seem like they will never be corrected, but with each small victory, we cannot help but be propelled closer and closer, no matter how slowly, to the person we want to become.

2 comments:

cdblueberry said...

Ahh good ol' Eddy :)

Do you still have to struggle with going to the gym? I ask, because you seem so fulfilled and so energized and invigorated by the gym!



(I'm stuck in the snowstorm tonight)

Unknown said...

Hi Blue. I do not struggle at all going when I am training with my PT. It's on the other 4 morning I struggle with going-lol


Did you say SNOW!!!!! blech