Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Reality Check

I was playing around on-line last night and was checking out the Subaru triathlon series website and...... registration is open for the 2010 triathlon series.... This probably should not be a big deal, but to me it signifies that we are getting closer to June 6, which is the day that I will be doing my first ever try a tri. I literally broke out in a sweat.... it is 3 months away. The thing is, I know I am capable of finishing it, it's not that long of a race.... my problem lies in opening myself up to be judged amongst a bunch of lean athletic people(even though I know on some level that I am not nearly important enough to be the star attraction).

I have been asking..... no begging family and friends to make sure they are around to come out and support me, because quite honestly, to have any shot of finishing this race I will need all the support I can get....

Last night I was dreaming I was running the tri, and I was wearing a t-shirt that said "Don't laugh at me - Cheer for me" on the front, and on the back it said "Fat girls have to TRI harder"

LOL, I just keep repeating to myself "I believe, I believe, I believe"

5 comments:

cdblueberry said...

lol, I love that shirt idea :)

You are very right on two accounts;
1) You are capable of a tri
2) Hate to break it to you but you won't be the star attraction ;P

That's something I struggle with too,I know it does not come from a place of conceit. Its the feeling that the whole world is watching and judging and somehow I will never measure up. The truth is, everyone is literally too concerned with their own lives to give us more than a passing glance.

I will be cheering you on from a distance :)

Nicole said...

that t shirt is INSPIRED!!!

LARRY BRADLEY said...

Sharon,

You will be happy to know that these races are filled with people from all walks of life. Everyone cheers for the next person. You will not be alone out there and the main thing to remember is to have a bunch of fun and don't take it too seriously. In your first one, it is all about the experience. Stop to talk to fans, take your time in transition to make sure you have everything you need on the bike or the run. Take a rest by the water stations if you need to. If others see your effort, and they will, they will be cheering you on all the way through the event. Don't forget to smile and have someone click a photo as your raise your arms to celebrate your great accomplishment.

Larry

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comments everyone. Totally what I needed to hear.

Anne H said...

Good words - TRI harder....
What a mantra!