Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Spinning and a big fat happy moment at the gym!



I have been checking out the "spin room" at the gym since I started. I've never actually seen a class in progress but I hear so much about people taking spin classed, I have been interested in this for years..... Well today was the day! My trainer unlocked the spin room and got me set up on a bike, it even had the shoe clamp thingies(I know this is not the correct term, but I have no idea what they are called) and off I went. I did about 20 mins as part of my 1 hour session and it was AMAZING. Really difficult, I sweat tons but I felt free. When I was doing the uphill portion and was standing up and pedalling, my trainer had me visualizing climbing a mountain and getting closer to the top. Anyway I was totally stoked and i think this is going to become part of my workout cycle.

Then at the end of the session I was doing some mat work, sit ups, plank etc, when my trainer asked me to do something called a scorpion. (pic below)



When he showed me I immediately thought, there is no way in hell, with my bad back, that I can do this....... he was lying on the mat too and said, you can totally do this, I wouldn't ask you to do it if you couldn't...... and I did! It just made me think back to a year ago when I started this, that I could not walk for more then 10 minutes without having to sit down to rest. I had absolutely no ab strength and forget bending over to touch my toes, I couldn't even bend over to touch my knees. My back and leg muscles were shortened so much because of lack of use due to my degenerative disc that, well lets just say that being able to lie on the floor on my stomach was almost impossible, let alone get into the scorpion position.

Although I haven't made great strides in losing this weight, all the hard work was worth in in that one scorpion moment. :)

3 comments:

cdblueberry said...

"a year ago when I started this, that I could not walk for more then 10 minutes without having to sit down to rest. "


That is amazing. In one year you have transformed your self.

In the last post you asked about post-pool hunger. As much water as you can stomach and a glass of milk helped me :)

Nicole said...

You rock so very very much!!!

I can't believe your progress!!!

Amanda said...

that looks like an awesome move, I can't wait to try it. I think feeling stronger and being able to do more has been the biggest reward for me. Keep rocking!