Saturday, September 12, 2009

5K Trial Run

So today I did the trial 5k. This bit may be TMI so skip this paragraph if you like(I am trying to truly document my journey and this is part of it). So last night, I was violently ill with stomach cramps and the big "D". I don't think I have mentioned this before but I suffer from IBS or irritable bowel syndrome, and I never know when I am going to have an episode.... I have been trying to follow the nourishment rules set out by my trainer prior to doing the run but alas, these rules did not agree with my stomach, and the anxiety over today's run did not help.

Anyway, I did not have any water in my system, in fact I was probably dehydrated, and with 5 minutes left before leaving for the park I was seriously considering NOT going.... Then I thought about my goals and how badly I want to find the real me- the athlete, the fit person, the confident person, that I just sucked it up and left.

about 1k into it I convinced my self to just give up.... everyone was way ahead of me (which I was ok with) but I did not have the confidence to run, because the path was along the road where everyone could see me. So I decided I would stop at the 2k point and just say I couldn't finish it.... Then I saw my trainer up ahead, coming back to meet me. I told him I was dehydrated and wasn't going to keep going and he hugged me and told me I had to believe in myself the way he did, he knew I could do it....... and so he walked with me and we ran for short spurts and then he left to start timing in the other runners. I told him please tell the others to leave(I didn't want them waiting around for me). So off I went, my trainer came and checked in with me once more and then I was on my own.....

The last part of the run was on the track and one of the girls came our and did the final lap with me (we ran) and we ran in together to the finish line. All the others stayed too and cheered me in.

The best part (besides the fact that I finished) was my time.... It was right around 50 min. (I for get the exact time, but it was between 49-50 mins)

Now I am a bit tired, but I also now know that I can do it and considering I walked most of the 5k, I can improve a lot in the next 5 weeks and come up with a much better time on race day.

4 comments:

cdblueberry said...

I am so super PROUD of you and I hope you are too!!!

★ <---supposed to be a gold star :)

Nicole said...

WOOHOO!!!

I am sooo PROUD you finished it. What a great win!!!

foolsfitness said...

I remember my first 5k on the treadmill must have taken me about 90 minutes... and I thought I was hauling. (Well I was hauling- alot of extra weight)

I've got a bit to go before I break the hour mark, and to think you did that in spite of your challenges around it.

You showed up and you ran. Even walked a bit, the point is you didn't just dream... you did. Power to you!

At Foolsfitness we only run to catch up to the pizza delivery guy- Alan

Sephgirl said...

Wow! Way to go! Such a great accomplishment and now you know you can do it! Way to stick to it even when it felt so hard. Very inspiring! :)