Sunday, December 11, 2011

Active weekend.

So I went to my first kick boxing class yesterday. It was fantastic. There were six other women, all of which are advanced fighters. I believe at least 4 of the 6 have actual fights under their belt. They were all very nice and encouraging. I paired up with the instructor to practice some moves so she could assess me. After we went through a few drills ( I had to punch and kick her in the stomach- ouch) We did some sparring. When I partnered up, I was allowed to hit them, but they couldn't hit me. It's funny because I went to see a kick boxing tournement at this gym a year and a half ago. There was a woman who was fighting, who totally inspired me. She was bigger (totally fit, and not fat, but tall and strong) and she wasn't really young. Watching her, I thought hey maybe I can do this... She really, really inspired me. Yesterday, she joined the class and I got to spar against her. It was funny, because before we started our sparring session, she asked me what made me want to start kick boxing.... I told her she did and explained that I had seen her fight and she inspired me.... It was pretty cool that I got to fight her in my first class!

Today - I am going boxing. This has been an awesome week exercise wise, and food wise as well. My back and legs are feeling so much better and I feel like I'm back on track.... finally

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great full circle moment, I'm actually tearing up here :)

lol, that would be the only way I would do a class ...if I could hit them but no one could hit me :P

Unknown said...

Blue, it really was a full circle moment. I really felt out of place in sport before I saw her - It wasn't even that she was doing it, it was that the people in the audience were showing her respect. Seeing her in this class felt like a sign that I was in the right spot.

yeah, I don't think I'd want to be punched and kicked by any of these girls. The second girl I fought was about 5- 1 (I'm 5" 7) and I'm definitely 2x her weight.... but she kept saying hit me.... kick me here. punch me in the stomach.... lol, she was a bulldog.... :)