Monday, November 8, 2010

There is no greater joy in life....

Than being able to touch your toes, am I right? You see when I started working with my trainer two years ago, he asked me to bend over and touch my toes or to go as far as I could. I was able to touch my fingertips to my knees. Thats it!

While I have progressed in strength and cardio, I was a bit slower progressing in the flexibility department. So last week my trainer put all other training on the back burner and we began stretching for a full hour, three times a week for 3 weeks. I have slowly gotten better and better. Today I was able to sit on the mat on the floor and reach over and touch my toes. Now I have to bend at the knee and then slowly bob my legs until they are just about straight, but to me that is close enough. I tried again tonight to reach down and touch my toes, and yup I can do it.

To me this represents hope. I never in a million years expected to get any relief from my back pain, or leg pain when I started exercising with my trainer. All I was looking for was weight loss. What I got was a brand new lease on life, and if I, who could not bend forward and touch her knees, can now bend over and touch my toes, then what else is possible.... the answer my friends is ANYTHING.

Onward and Downward

5 comments:

Sonya @ Eyes on the Hourglass said...

I'd say that's a pretty darn good NSV if you ask me!

WTG! Keep reaching for those toes!!!!

Laurie said...

I agree, stretching is amazing for your body. I started doing more stretching and yoga after my pulled hamstring a year ago and what a difference it made. Keep stretching!!

Anonymous said...

How about the joy in being able to SEE your toes? :P


Seriously though, congrats on that. Such a hopeful and inspiring post.

That sounds fantastic, I would love to work with someone to stretch for that long!

Roxanne said...

Congrats!!
I have started going to yoga 1-2 times per week, and although it's not really a weight loss tool it is SO WONDERFUL to stretch and move my body that way. It feels great!

Keep it up, you may be a boxing yogi by the end of it all :P

Blogger said...

Did you know that you can create short links with Shortest and receive dollars from every click on your short urls.